The Department of Genetics Fly Facility is one of the largest in Europe, and offers a range of services to Drosophila researchers both within and outside Cambridge.
Our Drosophila microinjection service is available to fly researchers throughout the European Union. We can inject flies for P-element/piggyback transformation, phiC31-mediated transgenesis, CRISPR/TALEN genome engineering and other experiments. We also provide screening and balancing services.
- Our microinjection services and prices.
- Everything else you need to know about our microinjection service
Our fly-pushing services are primarily aimed at Cambridge fly researchers. We are happy to discuss the researcher's needs for fly-pushing (screening, stock construction, etc). Costs for fly-pushing services are arrived at by negotiation between the researcher and the Fly Facility.
- Read about our recently completed project for the Jefferis group (LMB, Cambridge)
- To inquire about our fly-pushing services, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Drosophila Stock-Keeping Service
Our Drosophila stock-keeping service is available to Cambridge fly researchers. We will maintain your Drosophila stock collection and will ship your stocks to any location worldwide.
- If you are interested in using our Stock-Keeping service, please contact Simon Collier
- (Raven password required)
Drosophila Media Service
The Fly Facility provides Cambridge fly groups with many kinds of fly media in a variety of containers (vials, bottles, plates etc.).
Would you like to use the Fly Facility?
Drosophila researchers based in, or visiting, Cambridge are welcome to use the Department of Genetics Fly Facility. The Facility includes:
- A Fly Lab with bench space for up to 24 fly workers
- Four large temperature controlled rooms that can hold up to 60,000 fly stocks
- A Cage Room for large population collections
- A Microinjection Room with fluorescence microscopy
- An Isolation Room for working with quarantined flies
Other Fly Facility Resources:
Mites! (and how to control them)
Mites are everywhere! Here are some tips for preventing mite infestations in your Drosophila stocks.
Fly Facility Stock Collection
Fly Facility Drosophila Book Collection
(Raven password required)