Project OverviewThe GEN password system is running on an eight year old Mac sitting in my office. It doesn't work properly with modern versions of windows or even modern Macs!
I have acquired replacement hardware and software and I'm in the process of configuring everything.
If you've been issued a new DEPT username & password you can change your password and then use the services provided by this new server, Bramley.
Quirks & Work-arounds
- When using a non-DEPT computer (i.e. your personal laptop, a lab PC etc) to connect to a file server you have to prefix your account with dept\ in order to get logged in.
- Thunderbird & Firefox profiles are not migrated.
To migrate them, first quit all programs. Then, go to "my computer" then "Z:" then "Library" then "Win".
Rename "AppData" to "AppData.new"
Rename "Application Data" to "AppData"
Log out. Log in.
- Internet Explorer favourites are not migrated automatically.
They can be found in Z:\Library\Win\Favorites
Project StatusMy completed tasks:
- Two mirrored LDAP/Kerberos servers fully configured. (29-Jun)
- New Mac server connected to system. Provides Wiki, Blogs, Calendaring and Mac specific services. (5-Jul)
- A few testing accounts issued. (13-Jul)
- Password change webpage working. (13-Jul)
- User creation scripts written. (13-Jul)
- Test linking a clone of Larch to the system. (19-Jul)
- Fully test user creation scripts. (20-Jul)
- Test linking a PC to the system. (21-Jul)
- Test linking a clone of Mail to the system. (21-Jul)
- Test linking a clone of Admin-Linux1 to the system. (21-Jul)
- Home directory creation script (for new users) (26-Jul)
- Create accounts for all staff. (27-Jul)
- Unlink Mail and Admin-linux1 from old system: mail & old calendar system will be interrupted. Expected duration 1 day. (8-Aug)
- Relink Mail and Admin-linux1 to new system: mail & old calendar system have resumed operation. (8-Aug)
- Link DMG/DEPT domains with inter-domain trust, see also http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738810(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_forest (8-Aug)
- Test linking a normal Mac to the system. (23-Aug)
- Unlink Larch from old system: Home directories and Group directories will become unavailable, computers linked to the old GEN system may stop working properly. (28/29-Aug)
- Relink Larch to new system: Home directories and Group directories will become available to DEPT system accounts/computers. (28/29-Aug)
- Unlink and relink all remaining PCs from old GEN system to new DEPT system. (28/29-Aug) Approx order:
- Zeiss-meta (226)
- R114 microscopes (114)
- Office PCs (Accts, Secretary, Receptionist) (G16)
- Floor Mgr PCs (Maz,Duncan,Sara) (B17,102,234)
- Okane PCs (Martin, Sara I) (228, 223)
- Draviam PCs (113)
- Jiggins PCs (G3)
- Crowther PCs (B11,B16)
- Other PCs (B10,106,108)
- Unlink Print from old system. Printing will be unavailable (1-Sep)
- Relink Print to new system and reconfigure (1-Sep)
- Transfer remaining Macs to new system (1-Sep)
- Install Library PCs (13-Sep? supply problems)