Tested with 10.6-8
- Turn off firewall
- Install xcode from app store
- run xcode to install sub components, specifically "Command line tools"
- Download Bacula (stick to same major version as server, Currently 5.x)
- Extract: tar xzf bacula-<VERSION>.tar.gz
- Change working dir: cd bacula-<VERSION>
- Configure: ./configure --enable-client-only --prefix=/usr/local
- Compile: make
- Install: sudo make install
- Make LaunchDaemon config:
sudo -s "sed 's#@PREFIX@#/usr/local#;s#@FD_CONF@#/usr/local/etc/bacula-fd.conf#' < platforms/osx/files/org.bacula.bacula-fd.plist.in > /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.bacula.bacula-fd.plist"
- Email /usr/local/etc/bacula-fd.conf to email@example.com to get it edited to match server settings.
- Replace /usr/local/etc/bacula-fd.conf with edited version
- Reboot and cross fingers
- Ask firstname.lastname@example.org to check connectivity
- Try turning on firewall. System should prompt to exclude bacula-fd from firewall.
- Ask email@example.com to check connectivity.
You will need full administrative rights for your PC, and a connection to the department's wired network.
- Get the installer:
Installer for 64-bit Windows
Installer for 32-bit Windows
- Run the installer
- Agree to the licence agreement
- Choose the default "automatic" install.
- Default client install is appropriate.
- The client template can be sent to IT to add configuration settings to the server. Save it somewhere you can find it easily!
- The DIR name is "gen-dir" without quotes. There is no end-user DIR password at present.
- Installation should proceed
- Once complete, you should send the client template you saved to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your computer's firewall software prompts you to allow access to "bacula-fd.exe" then allow it. You may need to manually allow the backup software:
XP: netsh firewall add portopening TCP 9102 "Bacula Backup" ENABLE
Win Vista+: netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Bacula Backup" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=9102 profile=Domain,Private
(Thanks to Paul Barrow for images and debugging)
Install the bacula client package for your flavour of linux (must be version 5.2.* or older,) send the configuration template to email@example.com