FlyBase : Database of Drosophila Genes and Genomes
Drosophila, FlyBase, biocuration, ontologies
FlyBase is a database of genetic, genomic and functional data for Drosophila species, with a focus on the model organism Drosophila melanogaster. We integrate information from the research literature and various external databases and projects, and make these data available to the research community via our public website. In so doing, FlyBase provides an essential bioinformatic resource to the genetics, genomics and biomedical research communities all over the world.
The FlyBase project is a collaboration between four groups based at Harvard University, USA (PI Bill Gelbart); Indiana University, USA (PI Thom Kaufman); The University of New Mexico, USA (PI Maggie Werner-Washburne and Richard Cripps); and The University of Cambridge, UK (PI Nick Brown).
The FlyBase-Cambridge division comprises a team of literature curators and an ontologist. Our primary task is to identify genetic data from scientific articles concerning Drosophila and to record these data in a systematic manner. Relevant data include all genetic entities (genes, alleles, transgenic constructs, etc.) and certain types of associated information such as phenotypes, genetic interactions, gene product functions and models of human disease. Curated data are subsequently integrated into the FlyBase database and website.
Other responsibilities of FlyBase-Cambridge include the maintenance of the FlyBase bibliography, and the development of controlled vocabularies (ontologies) used in literature curation.
Enquiries regarding FlyBase-Cambridge should be sent to the Group Manager, Steven Marygold. General enquires and feedback about FlyBase should be communicated using the 'Contact FlyBase' form.
5 key publications
- St Pierre SE, Ponting L, Stefancsik R, McQuilton P; FlyBase Consortium. (2014) FlyBase 102--advanced approaches to interrogating FlyBase. Nucleic Acids Res. 42(1):D780-8. [PMID: 24234449]
- Costa M, Reeve S, Grumbling G, Osumi-Sutherland D. (2013) The Drosophila anatomy ontology. J. Biomed. Semantics 4(1):32 [PMID: 24139062]
- Osumi-Sutherland D, Marygold SJ, Millburn GH, McQuilton PA, Ponting L, Stefancsik R, Falls K, Brown NH, Gkoutos GV. (2013) The Drosophila phenotype ontology. J. Biomed. Semantics. 4(1):30. [PMID: 24138933]
- Vasilevsky N A, Brush M H, Paddock H, Ponting L, Tripathy S J, Larocca G M, Haendel M A (2013) On the reproducibility of science: unique identification of research resources in the biomedical literature. PeerJ. 1:e148. [PMID: 24032093]
- Marygold S J, Leyland P C, Seal R L, Goodman J L, Thurmond J, Strelets V B, Wilson R J; FlyBase consortium (2013) FlyBase: improvements to the bibliography. Nucleic Acids Res. 41(D1):D751-D757 [PMID: 23125371]