The information on this page applies specifically to Undergraduates already at Cambridge. Please see the work experience page if you are not a Cambridge undergraduate and wish to work in a Lab
Hands-on experience will give you an advantage if you are trying to get a foot in the door in research. There are various opportunities in this Department, and several sources of financial support, allowing students who have completed Part 1B to work on research projects during the summer vacation prior to their Part II year.
Interested students should approach Group Leaders directly to find out if they have research opportunities in their Labs. See our listing of labs. Obviously the earlier you apply, the better. Some closing dates for funding are as early as February.
Department of Genetics Bursaries
- S P H Johnson Summer Vacation Bursaries : These provide a stipend of £200 per week for a maximum of 10 weeks, plus some research costs for the host laboratory. The research must be carried out under the supervision of a Principal Investigator who is a member of the Department of Genetics. These bursaries have been funded by former Part II student, Stephen P H Johnson, who graduated in 1978.
The application deadline for 2014 is midday on 2 May
>> Further Johnson Bursary information to download
>> Johnson Bursary application form
- J R S Fincham Bursary : Provides limited support for students undertaking vacation research, in the Department of Genetics or elsewhere. It is available to 1B students intending to take Part II Genetics.
The application deadline for 2014 is 30 May
>> Further Fincham Bursary information to download
In addition, there are general bursary schemes, open to all students. For example:
- Wellcome Biomedical Vacation Studentships : Scholarships for Undergraduates part-way through their first degree are available for up to 8 weeks. The stipend is up to £180 per week . The closing date is usually early February for the coming summer vacation
>> Further information on the Wellcome Foundation website
- Amgen : Support for students participating in the Amgen Scholars Programme.
>> Further information on http://www.biomed.cam.ac.uk/amgenscholars/index.html
- Colleges : Many Colleges provide funding to support students wishing to gain lab experience during the summer vacation
- Please note that iGEM Competition Bursaries re no longer available
Please refer to our list of labs for information on research undertaken in the Department